Saturday, September 27, 2008

more contrast


step 4: digital painting: Photoshop (unfinished)
click on thumbnail to view larger image

Comparing between "step 2" and "step 3" I didn't realize how much of the top light I had lost while I was probably too focused on the rendering...either that or the television. Added a bit more contrast and texture, but the frog didn't look shiny/slippery enough. Decided to work on the hi-lights and add a few more coats of glaze. Think I'll take one more crack at it before throwing in the towel. It's an exercise in rendering, not actual artwork.


3 comments:

Anthony Vrakotas said...

I always appreciate a bit more contrast! But see if you can add it with a bit more color as well. It is getting a little on the dull side and the shadows and rim highlights can add to it without removing its realistic feel. (I am not suggesting you turn it into a cartoon)

Since this is both a digital work and an exercise, why don't you split it into two versions and finish one like this and then do a much more relaxed expressive and colorful one to see what all the possibilities are? (Sorry, I just needed to feel like an AD again for 2 minutes!)

Tofucubed said...

Thanks, very good suggestions. At one point I had started to bring in more color, but decided to hold back on that. After I had posted yesterday, I had also noticed that it was looking a bit too "academic". Will try to add more color during the last run at it, I agree that it would add alot more interest.

As for two versions, I'd love to try that one day but at the moment I just want to put this one behind me. But I do agree that it would be interesting to explore other styles/techniques. I was planning for the next piece to be more expressive, not exactly sure what though. Maybe do a few sketches prior to that to get inspiration.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anthony Vrakotas said...

Well, have fun with it. I know you are a perfectionist though, so go with what feels natural.