Monday, January 11, 2010

Colour Me Purple


digital media: Photoshop
click on thumbnail to view larger image

digital media: Photoshop
click on thumbnail to view larger image

I wanted the poster to be vibrant without it having to be too colourful, so to not distract from the intended purpose which is the information. Orson is a bear. The name "Orson" is a play on the French word for bear, "ourson". It was between that or "René", which at the time sounded like it would fit well for a traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras. Ok back to the bear. I went in colouring having a classic brown bear in mind. But after the first colouring pass I felt it was a bit too...normal. I thought of other colours and settled on a desaturated violet. I thought that other, more vibrant colours would make him look too much like one of the "Care Bears". I felt the violet version had more character and presence, but had a bit of doubt on whether or not he would read as a bear. Asking for advice from a colleague (concept artist), I was reassured that violet was the direction to go. Thanks Carolyn!

For more information on the "mini Mardi Gras" charity event please visit:
www.minimardigras.ca

No comments: