Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pencil Pushers Unite


digital media: Photoshop
click on thumbnail to view larger image

Based on the original thumbnail sketch I would usually redraw the illustration (cleaner and more detailed) traditionally using graphite on paper. Scan it. Retouch the lines in photoshop. And start colouring. For this piece I wanted something very clean, without having to use vectors. Personally I find vectors too clean, and my vision was for a traditional 2D cell shaded look. So I decided to go digital for the redraw. Not to say that you can't get a clean look from traditional methods, such as inking. But truthfully, my inking skills are not good enough to allow me to work as fast as my deadline permitted. The snowflakes are in fact vector illustrations, which I have previously created for a past project. Helped shave a lot of valuable time off my schedule.

For more information on the "mini Mardi Gras" charity event please visit:
www.minimardigras.ca

No comments: